A Good One to Start With

A Good One to Start With
BLANKET FLAME

Friday, July 3, 2009

THOUGHTS ON DESIGN

I've done a lot of image-making, mostly patterns, but more. (I'll be posting the "more" later...for now patterns are first priority!) Most people I show them to see something nostalgic in them; they are reminded of something domestically comforting...their grandmother's bedspread, a favorite shirt, wallpaper in a guest room, a tablecloth on mom's patio table. All associated with home and good times.

It's interesting to me that they are basically abstract art, yet most people can relate...is that because of the repetition of elements? Maybe because we don't hang them in a gallery, they just provide a decorative surface to everyday life objects. Whatever it is, they seem to appeal to many... I have loved them as long as I can remember.

When creating my pattern designs I have challenged myself to pull ideas from the past but make them new and fresh; try to avoid literal imagery; and ignore style at all costs. Style is simply the result of visual choices, not an end unto itself.

I do want your feedback... lemme know what you think.

No comments: